What is a mattress topper? Why is it needed, and how to use a mattress topper at home? From the name, it’s obvious that this is something that fits on top of the mattress. But this is not at all a sheet with which we habitually cover a mattress and not even a cover. A mattress topper is a specific item that has come into common use with the advent of orthopedic mattresses and has special functions.
At first glance, the purpose of the mattress topper is purely hygienic. It protects the mattress from getting dirt on it and also protects the cover from premature wear. But its use is not limited to this. With the help of a properly selected mattress topper, you can increase or decrease the rigidity of your mattress and thereby increase the level of comfort.
Besides, the mattress topper has another excellent property – it retains heat between the mattress and the blanket. Thanks to this, you will never have to go to bed in a cold bed again. The Mattress topper will create excellent thermal insulation, so on cold nights, the simultaneous use of a mattress topper and a warm blanket is much more effective.
How To Use a Mattress Topper at Home?
Remove the mattress topper from the packaging
First of all, unwrap the topper from its packaging material. You can use a knife or scissors. Ensure that you do not cut deep to avoid cutting the topper. Be careful when doing this.
Place the mattress topper on a flat surface.
After removing the topper from the package, place it on a flat surface. Ensure that it is not exposed to heat or sunlight. Sunlight can destroy the mattress topper making it less responsive. Leave the topper out for a day or two. This will help get rid of the smell from the mattress topper.
Remove items from your bed
Once the mattress topper has been aired out for one or two days, it is good to be used on your bed. First, remove all bed items like sheets, pillows, and so on.
Place the mattress topper on your bed
After removing everything from your bed, put the mattress topper on top of your mattress. Make sure that it lays evenly on the mattress. Get rid of any folds or bulges.
Place back the bedding items
After laying the mattress topper on the mattress, place back the rest of your bedding on the mattress as you prefer.
And finally, with the help of a mattress topper, you can easily and conveniently connect two mattresses.
Based on their functions, all mattress toppers can be used for three main purposes;
- To create a favorable microclimate during sleep – to preserve heat, eliminate static electricity, and many more;
- To improve the characteristics of the mattress – stiffness, softness, or height;
- To increase hygiene – protection against wear and pollution.
Depending on the purpose, mattress toppers are made of different materials. However, they all have something in common – they are made only from natural or synthetic, non-allergenic materials. The most common natural materials that makeup mattress toppers are latex and coconut coir.
They are used individually or in combination. The most remarkable artificial material is a material with a memory effect, which keeps the position of the human body and fixes it.
Fillers Used in Mattress Toppers
The type of filler determines the overall level of stiffness.
Coconut Coir. Natural filler with a high level of rigidity. It is made from pressed coconut fibers – it is a safe material, wear-resistant, and ventilated.
Natural latex. It is made from the juice of the hevea tree – its natural origin guarantees the safety of the material and its hypoallergenicity. It has high elasticity; strength is used in soft mattress toppers.
Artificial latex. Inexpensive material, which in user quality, is not very different from natural latex. It does not emit toxic substances, suitable for orthopedic mattress toppers of soft and medium hardness.
Memorex. High-tech foam with a special porous structure that perfectly adapts to the contours of the human body. As a result, sleep becomes more comfortable, as soft tissues do not squeeze, and blood circulates freely, no matter what position a person takes.
You can see that the popularity and demand for mattress toppers are by no means handy in our time. Mattress toppers are a multifunctional orthopedic remedy – they help to create additional comfort during sleep. But the main question is to use a mattress topper?
The Advantages of Mattress Toppers
- If you decide to purchase an anatomical mattress, and the seller advises you to buy a protective topper immediately, you should not think that this is a marketing move. The same can be said about mattress toppers. This is the right thing:
- Protect against dust, moisture, and the spread of mold spores. It’s easier to wash the topper than to take the mattress to dry cleaning;
- Prolongs the life of the product, reduces the manifestation of signs of wear in the form of scuffs, tearing of the fabric, loss of its original shape;
- Comfortably put on and take off. Repeat the size of the mattress, securely fasten like a sheet on an elastic band or with elastic bands;
- If you choose the right model, you can make your sleep more comfortable, adjust the stiffness level of the bed, without changing the mattress. The topper will make the surface smoother, softer, or, conversely, harder – it all depends on your preferences.
- If you sometimes use a sofa as a sleeping place, such an acquisition will also become very necessary. A tight mattress topper will correct all the irregularities of the bed;
- Mattress toppers are easy to wash on your own in a typewriter and dry. Recommended temperature conditions are indicated in the product instruction manual;
- They have an affordable price. Replacing a mattress topper is much cheaper than buying a new mattress.
What To Consider When Choosing a Mattress Topper
Before buying, it is worth measuring the dimensions of the mattress, not only the width and length but also the height, since this indicator also varies.
If you or other family members are allergic, it is better to purchase a model made of non-natural materials: the latex layer can cause skin irritation. The options presented on sale differ in the type of fastening – it can be elastic tapes or elastic bands. The choice of a mattress topper is an individual decision. Today, manufacturers offer a wide range of models – choose from.
The purpose of the mattress topper is purely hygienic. It protects the mattress from getting dirt on it, and also protects it from premature wear. But his appointment is not limited to this.
With the help of a properly selected mattress topper, you can increase or decrease the rigidity of your mattress and thereby increase the level of comfort. But it is worth noting that the mattress topper is not a replacement for the mattress, but its complement. Besides, the mattress topper has another excellent property – it retains heat between the mattress and the blanket.
Thanks to t, you will never have to go to bed in a cold bed again. The mattress topper will create excellent thermal insulation, so on cold nights, the simultaneous use of a mattress topper and a warm blanket is much more effective.
The mattress topper can be easily removed. It can be washed at home in a typewriter or taken to dry cleaning, which is challenging to do with a mattress. And finally, with the help of a mattress topper, you can easily and conveniently connect two mattresses.
So, a mattress topper is needed for:
- Creating a favorable microclimate during sleep – saving heat, eliminating static electricity and the like;
- Improving the characteristics of the mattress – stiffness, softness, or height;
- increase hygiene – protection against wear and pollution of the mattress.
You can see that the popularity and demand for mattress toppers are by no means random in our time. Mattress toppers are a multifunctional orthopedic tool and help create additional comfort during sleep.
Mattress toppers- what is it, and when should they be bought? As mentioned earlier, mattress toppers protect the surface of mattresses from defects and bumps, as well as from pollution. Besides, products with animal fillers retain heat much longer.
This is a wonderful alternative to buying a new mattress. If the old mattress is no longer in such good condition, and there is no money for a new one, then you can buy a mattress topper, since it is much cheaper, plus it will hide all the defects of the product under it.
The popularity of mattress toppers today is not surprising. They help to keep the posture even and create comfortable conditions for sleeping, and also, thanks to them, you can keep the mattress safe and sound, without leaving a spot on it. With the guide above, you will know how to use a mattress topper effectively.