People learn the skills of cutting holes in a glass bottle. This is because it can prove to be a great addition to their crafting and decoration projects. It requires you to follow a technique that is simple and easy. It is just like drilling a hole on any other surface. However, you have to take precautions while doing it because it’s a little dangerous too.
How to Cut a Hole in a Glass Bottle?
As the world is trying to make the COVID-19 vaccine, billions of glass bottles are in use. They are cut down and holes are made to use them further. The most important thing to learn about how to cut in a glass bottle is precautionary measures. Cutting a hole is easier than you think.
However, you have to be very careful about the process. Make sure you wear protective goggles, gloves, and a suit. Along with this, properly securing the glass bottle is crucial. Moreover, work towards it slowly and steadily.
Here is the list of things you will need for this task. It is followed by the main steps that you can follow to do the job.
- Glass bottle.
- Power drill.
- Protective goggles.
- Awl Tool.
- Cutting bit.
- Marker, pen, and tape.
Mark and Position the Bottle
Mark the Spots
- Take two pieces of tape and put them on a glass bottle in an X shape.
- You have to press them enough so that they nicely stick to their surface and remain flat.
- You can use any type like medical, textured, electrical, or any other one.
- This tape will allow you to be sure about the position where you need to drill the hole.
- It will also make sure that the bit does not slip on the glass as the tape provide some friction.
- Take a pen or marker to draw a circle on the tape.
- It should be right in the center where the two tap pieces overlap each other.
- You should make the dot large and dark enough to be easily visible.
- It will act as a track for the drill bit so that the hole is made exactly where it needs to be.
Position the Bottle
- You have to position the bottle on some soft support.
- It could be a piece of cardboard, a towel, or maybe your old T-shirt that you no more wear.
- Lay the glass bottle over it in a position that its area that has tape is facing the upper side.
- Drilling would be far easier for you if you position the bottle on a chest-high surface or shelf.
Fit a Bit on Power Drill
- Select the bit that can make a sharp hole into the bottle.
- Its size must be such that the size of the hole made with it is exactly what you want.
- You have to attach the bottom section with the pointed front of the drill.
- Press it enough to confirm that its attachment is tight with the drill.
- Carbide or diamond tip of the bit would help in easy and quick hole making, so buy that one.
Grab and Secure the Bottle
- You have to grab the bottle from the side that is easy to handle.
- For safety and accuracy of hole size is possible only if you drill while the bottle is secure.
- The hand grabbing the bottle must be at safe distance during drilling.
Keep it Cool and Wet
- Keeping the bottle wet after every few seconds of drilling can secure the process.
- You can also place the set up in the sink and open the faucet. It will keep the bottle wet.
- You can also drill a hole in a plastic bottle, and keep this open side towards the place where you are drilling. The water coming out of that hole will keep it wet and cool.
Make Precise Starter Holes
- You have to start by making a very precise hole.
- To do this, put a moderate level of pressure with medium speed.
- Keep drilling with the same speed and pressure until the inner space becomes empty.
Drill Wide Holes
- Now you know how to cut in a glass bottle, so continue with the process for other holes as well.
- It is important to change the bit on the drill tip after every 2 to 3 holes.
- Also, keep on applying the lubricant for smooth drilling.
Finishing of Hole Edges
File the Edges
- Filing the edges is a necessary step when you are done with drilling the hole.
- You can do this by using sanding the inner sides of it.
- This will help you remove any sharp edges on the sides of the hole.
- Thus, you will have no safety issues while using it in the future.
Wash Lingering Particles
- Put the bottle under the faucet and let the water run over it for a few minutes.
- This will remove all the lingering particles from its surface.
- Also, flush the inner side of the bottle because there will be residues in there as well.
Install Rubber Grommet
- If you are planning to pass some spring, wire, or anything from the hole. Then it’s better to have additional protection around the hole.
- You can install a rubber grommet to smooth out the edges.
- You can buy it from a credible shop.
- Press it on the hole until it secures itself inside the hole.
Always try to start the cutting process with properly working tools. Along with this, if you know the right technique, you are good to go. We are sure that our guide about how to cut a hole in a glass bottle will be of great value to you. Try to practice a little bit before doing it on the original piece. Your protection is also important, therefore, never miss out on anything that you need for it.