Do you have outdoor furniture in your garden, patio or terrace? Whether it is wooden, metallic, or plastic resin furniture, you will need to protect it from weather elements, especially if you do not have enough storage space to put it away, you can used cover for outdoor furniture
Today I will give you 10 tips on how to protect your furniture during all seasons if you choose to use a furniture cover,
1) CHOOSE YOUR FURNITURE COVER PROPERTIES
The first thing which you will need is the correct cover for your furniture. You will need a cover which is user friendly and protects your furniture from sun, wind, rain, snow and also dust, insects and pests.
Here is some advice on how to select and purchase the cover for outdoor furniture which will provide the ultimate protection for your outdoor furniture:
- It should be made from a waterproof or at least water-resistant material. This will serve to protect your furniture from getting wet; as humidity will cause your furniture to grow mold, get rusty, swollen, and even sometimes get cracked. Best Materials for the cover might be treated Polyester fabric or synthetic vinyl.
- It should also have elastic fasteners and durable clip buckles, this will serve to completely cover your furniture and to keep in in place on windy days.
- The cover should have ventilation openings, which will allow air circulation, in order not to trap air inside causing to develop humidity under the cover.
2) TAKE CORRECT MEASUREMENTS OF YOUR FURNITURE, to BUY OR CUSTOM MAKE THE FURNITURE COVER THAT FITS
Do you know the measurements of your furniture? If not then the second thing and most important to do is having the correct measurements for the furniture covers, so it covers your furniture completely. You should measure the height, width, and length or diameter of your piece of furniture.
All you will need is a meter, a paper and pen to write down the measurements, and an additional person to help you measure long or high furniture items.
Then use these measurements to compare with the dimensions of the cover you are willing to purchase or share these measurements with an industrial tailor if you wish to have it custom made.
3) MAKE REGULAR MAINTENANCE FOR YOUR FURNITURE BEFORE STORAGE
Before covering your furniture for protection, you need to make sure your furniture is well maintained.
- Make sure the wood, metal, or plastic furniture bases are in a good state! Make sure they do not have cracks or are loose.
- Make sure the cushioning is also in a good state! They should have no holes in them.
So check if there are any defects and fix them.
4) MAKE SURE YOUR FURNITURE IS CLEAN AND DRY!
To clean your metallic, plastic resin furniture you simply can clean it with a wet sponge and a mix of soap and water, therefore, there is no need for you to use invasive products, as they might ruin the plastic or remove the paint coat on your metallic furniture, then you can rinse it and leave it to dry.
But if your furniture is made of wood make sure you follow exact care instruction of the type of wood or the original manufacturer’s care instructions, this will help you avoid staining or ruining your piece of wooden furniture.
5) MAKE SURE TO GIVE YOUR FURNITURE A PROTECTIVE COAT!
For the textile cushioning of your furniture, you can use a fabric protector. Fabric protectors will help to maintain the color of the textile, it will also protect it against stains, and will make a water-repellent coat.
Metal furniture will have to be waxed, use protective wax paste that is special
for metal. The furniture should be dust-free, apply the wax by using a brush and make sure you have it spread all over the metal surface, corners, and even cracks if it has any. After having applied the wax, leave the furniture piece to dry before covering it with the furniture cover.
Seal your wood by using one of these three methods:
- Apply special oils to seal your wood and give it a protective coat. Most used oils are walnut, linseed and tung oil.
- Seal the wood of your furniture with a coating of varnish, lacquer, or polyurethane.
- Use a stain-sealant along with a wood waterproof product, but make sure that both products can be mixed, and that they will not have a chemical reaction that can harm you or the wood.
All of these recommended steps will protect your furniture and make them last longer.
6) KEEP YOUR COVERED FURNITURE AWAY FROM DIRECT SUNLIGHT
Even if you will be covering your furniture while it stays outdoor, it would be good to keep it in the shade, this way you can avoid it being exposed to direct sunlight or extra heat. Direct sunlight can cause the color of your furniture to fade, and the heat can also cause distortion of your furniture’s surface or cause the paint on your furniture to chip and crack. So keep your furniture away from long exposure to direct sunlight and heat.
7) STORE YOUR FURNITURE IN A SHELTERED AREA
It would also be recommended to have the furniture sheltered under an umbrella, shade sail, or an awning. This way you will avoid the weighting of snow on it and you will also avoid the accumulation of water on your covered furniture.
8) CHOOSE THE CORRECT MATERIAL FOR YOUR FURNITURE COVER
Picking the correct furniture cover material doesn’t only mean for it to have water-resistant properties, but for it to be what is best for your pocket and what is more suitable to fit your furniture.
The materials mostly used for furniture covers are vinyl and polyester, here is a brief about their pros and cons:
Pros of Vinyl Covers
- Low cost
- Moister resistant
Cons of Vinyl Covers
- Not easy to fold as the material can be quite stiff
- Not breathable
Pros of Polyester Covers
- Easy to fold
Cons of Polyester Covers
- More expensive than vinyl covers
9) CHOOSE THE CORRECT COLOR FOR YOUR FURNITURE COVER.
Do you know which color would be best to select when purchasing your furniture covers?
The color choice must be a light shade, this will help in reflecting the heat, so it is best to choose neutral colors like white, beige or light grey. The downside of having light color might be that the covers will get dirty easily, but that can be solved by choosing the correct easy to clean material. Other light colors like blue, red, or green might get discolored or faded due to heat.
10) GET HELP OF OTHERS WHEN INSTALLING FURNITURE COVERS
Make sure you have people to help you when installing covers on big furniture pieces, this way you will avoid tearing the covers, or not covering your furniture well or even hurt yourself.
It is very important to keep your outdoor furniture well maintained and protected from weather elements that can be very harsh on your furniture and can cause them undesirable tear and wear.
You’ve spent money to have beautiful furniture for your outdoor space, now you have to take the extra step and invest a little more money to buy the correct care material for your furniture, and of course a very good furniture cover. This will result in having your outdoor furniture last longer while staying as good as new.
To shop for your furniture cover, it would be best for you to personally go to the store to buy it yourself, this way you can see the material, color, and size on the spot before purchasing the product.
But if you are sure of the measurements and quality of the material from which the product is made, you can go ahead and by it online.
In both cases make sure to make your research on brands and comparison between different available products before making your purchase, this way you will end up buying the best for you out of the available options.
Here are some key brands for outdoor furniture covers:
- Backyard Creations
- Duck Covers
- Protective Covers Inc (PCI)
- Glen Raven Mills
- Classic Accessories
- Hearth & Garden
- Protective Covers
- Easyway Products
At last, Keep your outdoor furniture as good as new throughout the year. You will find valuable instructions on how to take care of your outdoor furniture from this article and have it well tucked and covered it to good through the toughest weather conditions.