Carving leather and designing them according to the trend is the primary step of making something great and fashionable in the leather industry. Using the best swivel knife will serve you for this purpose and many others. Besides industrial use, you can also buy swivel knives and carve your favorite leather items according to the designs you prefer personally.
If you’re wondering what swivel knives are? let me tell you. Swivel Knives are carving tools. They have a sharp chiseled part on one end. Everyone mainly works with that part. To hold the tool, there is a saddle-like part. You have to grab the swivel knife using your index finger and middle finger around the base that connects with the saddle-like shape. There is a pivot in middle for adjusting the length of the body.
There are many kinds of swivel knives in the market. Choosing the best knife for leather can be troublesome for you without any prior knowledge or experience. So, in this article, I will give you a review of the 6 best leather knives for leather and the proper buying guide for it.
Here Is The List Of The Top 6 Best Swivel Knife for Leather
If you have less time on your hands then this section is for you if you don’t want to read the whole article.
- OWDEN Professional Leather swivel knives
- Tandy Deluxe 8002-00 swivel knives
- Tandy Leather Craftool swivel knives
- AMPSEVEN 20pcs swivel knives
- Master Tools swivel knives
- Caydo Leather Working swivel knives
Here are the top 6 best swivel knives for leather for your reviews
The swivel knife handle comes in different sizes. The small size has a diameter of 10 mm and it increases accordingly.
- The blades are made of stainless steel which is heat-treated and of high hardness.
- The shank can suit any blade with a diameter of 5.5 mm.
- You can adjust the handle height.
- Along with two blades, it comes with a hex key.
- The dimension of this swivel knife is 3.98” x 2.87” x 0.47” and it weighs 0.18 lbs.
You can think of OWDEN professional Leather tool swivel knife as the best knife for leather. It has a size variation for different types of palm sizes. It comes with two blades of two sizes for different types of work. Not only any work of leather related work, but you can also use it for any clay carving work.
- The knife is sturdier than you can expect.
- The price is rather reasonable in comparison with the including items.
- Easy to sharpen the blades.
- The shipping is quick, and the customer service is great.
- The cuts are uniform and very easy.
- The adjustable height makes it easier to handle and convenient to use.
- Sometimes the cradle needs repeated fixing.
- The hex key might not fit the set screws. To use it, you might want to consider polishing it before using it.
- There are two extra indented or angular blades that come with the original straight ones.
- Since the blades are thinner, it is easy to work on finer designs and carving smaller leather pieces.
- The handle is ergonomic as well as properly adjustable. Its adjustability is second to none.
- The dimensions of this swivel knife are 4” x 0.5” x 4”.
- This swivel knife weighs about 0.15lbs. This is so light that working feels very convenient and easy. You can also say that it has high mobility and high control over the knife while working.
Tandy deluxe 8002-00 with Extra Angle and Filigree Blades is the best for its easy and simple adjustability. Who doesn’t love a good hassle-less adjustable tool for working? I’m sure you do too. Tandy deluxe 8002-00 comes with angle and filigree blades which is very convenient for any leatherwork you’re going to do.
The blades are very thin and have a diameter of 1.1 mm. There are three blades that come with this model of swivel knife. Two angular blades and a straight blade in a package. These blades can work on superfine designs and projects.
- Since it comes with 3 different blades with different angles, working with it will be very convenient.
- It can cover versatile amounts of tasks.
Because of its inclined nature, fine designing on corners becomes possible.
- The customer service of Tandy is excellent. So, you’ll get your swivel knife very quickly.
- It has a great price along with a quality product. So, it works for everyone.
- The blades are made of stainless steel. So, they will be rust free and you can also resharpen them easily.
- The knives might need sharpening a swivel knife right out of the box.
- Though it has ball-bearings, sometimes spinning the yoke feels hindered.
- This swivel knife has a dimension of about 5” x 1.8” x 0.2”
- The weight of the Tandy Leather Craftool – Pro Swivel Knife is less than 0.15 lbs. which makes it ideal for moving around the leather and designing it precisely.
- The diameter of the barrel of the small swivel knife is 9.5 mm and it has a wide-angle blade of a diameter of 6.3mm.
- The large version of this swivel knife has a 12.77 mm diameter barrel and a 9.5 mm hollow ground blade.
- There are some small ball bearers for the smooth movement of the yoke.
This model of the Tandy leathercraft tool pro swivel knife is for swivel knife experts and professional crafters. So, if you think you need a swivel knife that is sharper and of higher quality then Tandy Leather Craftool is your item to buy. The whole knife is made of stainless steel. It is designed for heavy and extensive use. So, even if you use it regularly and much more, its sturdiness won’t budge.
There are some smooth-surfaced ball bearers. It is attached to the yoke of the swivel knife. It makes the yoke move faster and smoother. This smooth movement and mobility make this model more preferable and also perfect for any professional leather crafting.
- It can be used extensively and regularly for a long time without being damaged.
- The blade is easy to sharpen and can craft around leather without any hindrance.
- The handle is ergonomic and thus very comfortable in the hand.
- The Tangy leather Craftool is very advanced and appropriate for any professional to carve any piece of leather.
- Since it is a professional swivel knife, it has high sharpness. So, you have to take extra caution while using it.
- Beginners may have a harder time controlling this knife, so, this knife is not appropriate for beginners.
- This set is made for beginners at an affordable cost. Though it may not be up to the mark for professionals, it will serve every one of your purposes if you’re a beginner.
- It has 20 different stamps which will enhance design accuracy once you start designing.
- Apart from having the stamps, there are more items in the package like – 1 hammer, 1 carving knife or swivel knife, and 5 tracing pens.
- Besides that, the package containing this set has a dimension of about 5.7” x 3” x 10.3”.
- The package weighs almost 2lbs.
AMPSEVEN 20 pieces leather carving working saddle making toolset – DIY Hammer Swivel Knife is a complete set for any beginner to start working on leather carving. It has everything that is required for a beginner to start right off the bat. If you want to create your own design, logo out of leather, then this set is appropriate for that.
There are 20 different kinds of stamps to make any kind of design possible for anyone. Besides saddle marking tools, there are a hammer, a curving swivel knife for leather, and tracing pens.
Since it is a complete tool made only for beginners, it might not serve perfectionists and experienced leathercrafters completely satisfied.
You can work any type of leather regardless of the size of that leather item or piece. It is not only affordable, but this set is like an all-in-one package. Don’t miss it.
- There are more tools than necessary. You might not even use all the given items, but the AMPSEVEN swivel knife set makes sure you don’t lack anything.
- The whole set is affordable and budget-friendly. If you were to buy all the parts separately, it might’ve cost you a fortune. But with this set, you get all items at a reasonable price.
- The tools are accurate and very easy to use.
- The quality of the materials by which the set is made is as good as it gets, but you might feel the need to upgrade soon.
- The items might get oxidized if not cared for properly.
- The dimensions of this product are 6” x 2” x 0.5”
- It weighs just a little more than 0.1 lbs.
- The Barry King productions manufactured this tool, also named as Master Tool Swivel Knife.
- The barrel texture is non-slippery and of length three-eighths of an inch.
- The barrel body is made of solid brass. So, its body is more durable than any other brass made swivel knife.
- There are ball-bearers to ensure a free-spinning on the barrel like item over the swivel knife.
- There are no blades included in the package.
Master Tools barry king swivel knives is the only knife in this list that is designed by Barry King themselves. You might know barry king swivel knife for their extraordinary swivel knife designs. Master Tools Knife has a barrel-like design. That is 3/8 inches long. It has a rough texture for preventing slipping.
The knife is constructed ergonomically. So, you’d have complete control while ensuring comfort during working. This swivel knife is made of brass and it has a ball-bearing configuration for free-spinning design.
Though it is all a leather carver could ask for, it doesn’t come with a blade. You need to buy blades separately.
- Very durable design.
- There are very few swivel knives that are made of solid brass.
- It gives a lifetime full of quality service.
- The customer service is great. So, you’ll get your product delivered as early as possible.
- The Barry king design is unique in its own way.
- Not having any specific blades gives you the opportunity of using any kind of blades with it.
- It is too expensive for just a swivel knife tool without blades.
- There are no blades provided with the swivel knife tool.
- The full kit comes in a package weighing 8.32 lbs.
- The dimensions of that package are 15.6” x 12.9” x 3.78”
- It comes with 200 pieces of leather crafting tools.
- There are 15 different shapes that you can use to punch holes in the leather piece and cut a shape out of it.
- The swivel knife set this well-designed for any type of leather carving.
- There are a few sewing tools including the adjustable stitching groover.
- It is perfect for a beginner to start working with.
Caydo Leatherworking kit with professional instructions for beginners is another one of beginners’ Swivel Knife working tools. You can think of it as the best swivel knife for beginners. It contains everything for a beginner to start right away. There is a total of 200 items in this swivel knife set.
You can punch holes, sew, carve leather, design, color, and so on with this kit. There are some primary shapes according to which you can punch holes in the leather item of the piece you’ll be working with. There are other basic tools you’ll be needing if you’re working on carving leather.
Apart from all these, there are many leather stamping tools. It helps beginners with designing the appropriate shapes while carving the leather.
- It contains more than 200 pieces of tools for carving, stitching, and other works.
- Comes with a user manual if you don’t know how to use the tools.
- There are finger cots included with the kit to protect your finger from minor injuries.
- Better quality items in comparison with the price.
- The manufacturers sell this kit at a rather reasonable price, within everyone’s budget.
- It is comparatively a lot cheaper than buying all the items individually.
- Since a lot of items come at a lesser price, the sharpness of a few hole punchers dulls quickly.
- Though the items are of better quality, you might still need an upgrade or exchange soon.
Important of a Swivel Knife
The blade, body, and handle are compulsory components for a perfect swivel knife. Most importantly, its pencil-shaped handle is necessary for leather carving. Well, a sharp stainless steel blade with a top comfortable spot for the thumb is also important for a perfect swivel knife.
How To Use a Swivel Knife
There are a few things you should know about using swivel knives. If you’re a beginner, you should go with any Kit. It comes with a manual that will help you know how to use a knife.
Secondly, you need to keep your swivel knife clean and sharp. Otherwise, no matter how good the material is, it will deteriorate soon.
Hold your swivel knife properly. The proper way to hold is by using your index finger and the middle finger to hold the saddle part of the knife with your thumb supporting it. That way you can work comfortably. If you don’t grab the handle properly, there’s a chance it might slip, and accidents occur.
Finally, always use the blade of the swivel knives vertically. It gives a better positioning on the grip and the cutting is more precise.
If you keep these basics in your mind before buying the perfect swivel knives for leather, you can not only determine the best knife but also how to use it even if you’re a beginner.
A Complete Buying Guide: Swivel Knife for Leather
If you’re going to buy the perfect swivel knives for leather, you need to know a few things. Like what to consider while buying a swivel knife or how you’re going to use it once you’ve bought it.
There are three parts of a swivel knife. The blade, the body, and the handle. If you want to work properly using that swivel knife, you need to know about all these.
While buying, check the grip if it’s comfortable for you or not. Then you can check the material of the swivel knife. The material determines whether your knife will be durable or not. Finally, the sharpness of the blade. If the blade is dull, you’ll have to sharpen it properly before using it.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Before I conclude this review and buying guide for the best swivel knives for leather, there are some common questions you might have in your mind.
How To Sharpen a Swivel Knife?
The swivel knives are not known as normal knives for retaining their sharpness. So, you might need to sharpen them occasionally. Though I just said they are not like normal knives, they can be sharpened like normal knives. It is better if you use an oiled whetstone to sharpen the edge of the swivel knife. Repeated rubbing on a rough surface like that will sharpen your swivel knife rather quickly because of its low surface area.
How much and how often should I sharpen my swivel knife?
You should sharpen the blade until you can smoothly cut through the leather properly. The sharper the better. There are leathers of different thicknesses and materials. Some are easy to carve and some are not. You have to sharpen your knife blade so that you can carve any type of leather without any problem.
Now, if you have any trouble knowing how often you should sharpen the knife blade, then I’d say, you’ll know when to sharpen. There is no necessary specific regularity for sharpening the swivel knife blades. However, if you still sharpen it regularly on your own, it will give you better performance. But if you’re being lazy then you should sharpen your swivel knives’ blade whenever it gets dull.
Is sharpening my swivel knife blade important?
Sharpening is important for recycling the knife you use for a longer time. If you don’t know how to sharpen your swivel knife, it might be a problem. You’ll have to repeatedly buy swivel knife blades. For this reason, you should know how to sharpen a swivel blade.
The swivel knife is rather rare to find. But once you know how to choose it, or you follow the recommendation or the guide I gave you, you’ll not have any trouble choosing or using a swivel knife.
In this article, I gave you a shortlist on the best swivel knives, you can use them for different purposes. It works for you no matter if you’re a beginner or an expert or a professional. This recommendation serves all purposes.
Moreover, there is a rather simple buying guide for you to follow if you become confused about how and what to do or the instructions on the user manual become too complex for you to understand. So, now you can rest easy considering your purchase of the best swivel knives.