Is your home always a mess? Do you need something quick and efficient to clean up the dirt, crumbs, and debris that drags into your home? A best portable carpet cleaner might be exactly what you're looking for. It's effective, easy to use around the home, and today, you can find countless of models from which to choose. This allows you to find the portable model that's best tailored to your household's needs.
What makes the carpet cleaner? The answer will vary for some. In this post, we'll help you in comparing the features, pros and cons, design, and usability, of several great carpet cleaners available today.
Furthermore, we'll highlight some important features to look for, maneuverability, and characteristics that set the best models apart from the competitors. Regardless of your budget, or what you need the carpet cleaners to do in your home, we'll focus on helping you pick the right one here!
What is a Portable Carpet Cleaner?
As the name implies, a portable carpet cleaner allows you to quickly and easily maneuver around the home to clean up spills, pet messes, dirt, and set-in stains. There are different models of carpet cleaners. Most models are compact, feature scrubbing technologies and others are capable of cleaning upholstery as well as hard surfaces.
The best carpet cleaners incorporate suction and scrubbing technologies. This allows you to target stains without blotting or scrubbing. The powerful suction motion and the strong spray help target stains which have penetrated carpets and upholstery and naturally lift them without damaging these surfaces.
Portable carpet cleaners afford you the ability to move freely and easily around tight corners, edges, and from carpet to hardwood surfaces easily. Plus, many machines have added cleaning features and technologies, to target pet messes, dirt, and hard to remove stains.
Quick Look:Top 10 Best Portable Carpet Cleaner
Top 10 Best Portable Carpet Cleaner Comparison Table:
Check The Details
10 x 14 x 14 inches
Hoover Power Scrub Deluxe
21.2 x 14.2 x 22.9 inches
SpotBot Pet handsfree
16.9 x 9.1 x 12.5 inches
Hoover PowerDash Pet
15.2 x 10.1 x 43.5 inches
Bissell Multi-Purpose Portable
8.2 x 17.2 x 12.5 inches
BISSELL Little Green
8.2 x 17.2 x 12.5 inches
18.9 x 13 x 43.5 inches
9.7 x 13.9 x 15 inches
17.3 x 9.8 x 45 inches
BISSELL Pet Stain
Top 10 Best Portable Carpet Cleaner Reviews:
Okay, so now that you have a better understanding of what to look for, what's the best portable carpet cleaner for you? Let's compare a few of the top-rated models, to help you get a better idea of what's right for you.
Bissell 3624 SpotClean Professional Carpet Cleaner
This spot cleaner removes tough stains from carpets, upholstery, stairs, and other surfaces in the home. It is a compact unit, featuring a five-foot flex hose, making it easy to reach tough corners, crevices, or areas which are further away from the corded cleaner while it's in action. It comes with a specialized, 8 ounce professional deep cleaning formula with your purchase. This helps target tough set pet stains, urine, dirt, and other debris that's made its way into your carpets and area rugs.
Some of the best features of this unit include-
- It comes with several tools/accessories including six-inch stair tools, three-inch tough stain tools, and an eight-ounce deep cleaning solution
- The flex hose can stretch up to five feet, without compromising on suction power, allowing users to reach tough areas or focus on scrubbing set-in stains
- It has a long, 22-foot cord, so you can easily move the unit around the home when spot treating
- It includes a two-year limited warranty
- It's fairly compact and light, weighing just over 13 pounds
How about the cons? There are some drawbacks that consumers should consider as well when comparing this to some of the other best carpet cleaner models available. Some of the cons worth mentioning include-
- It's not as powerful as other machines with a 5.7 amp rating
- The tank capacity is quite small at 3/4 gallon capacity
- It does include a two-year warranty, however, it is limited, and it is shorter than comparable models
Overall, this is an excellent model for portability and usability. If you need something for spot treating and everyday use, you're going to love the features it delivers. You do have to bear in mind the tank isn't as large as comparable units, so you might have to refill it more frequently than other models on the list. There are also some parts that aren't covered by the limited warranty, so make sure you consider this if you plan on purchasing this model.
For about $160 (for just the spot cleaner, there are other models which included additional options and attachments), it's fairly priced and made by a reliable brand name in the industry. So, you can rely on the quality, precision, and cleaning capabilities of this carpet cleaner.
Hoover Power Scrub Deluxe Carpet Cleaner
The Hoover model is an upright shampooer, featuring a hand control for ease of maneuverability around the home. It is UL certified and includes separate hand tools, to make your life a little easier when spot treating with this portable carpet cleaner. It features a dual-V nozzle, for even cleaning and equal pressure/suction levels with each use.
Some of the best primary features of this upright portable carpet cleaner include-
- The Sprinscrub brush system safely penetrates carpet and flooring, to remove the toughest dirt and set-in stains on carpeting
- The 360-degree scrubbing action helps penetrate surfaces and ensures even pressure and suction while cleaning floors
- A heat force system helps to speed up dry times while lifting stubborn stains that have set into carpets
- It is lightweight, at under 20 pounds and features a carrying handle to help improve mobility
- .You receive several accessories including the eight-inch hose for cleaning stains, a stair tool, upholstery tool, a crevice tool, as well as an eight-ounce container of a Hoover cleaning solution/agent
These are some great features that the Power Scrub cleaner features. But, before calling it the carpet cleaner, customers also have to consider some drawbacks which include-
- It's an upright model that makes it harder to move around the home freely and a bit heavier than smaller, compact models
- One-Gallon tank capacity is quite small for an upright model, meaning frequent refills
- Several customer reviews indicate the Spinscrub brushes don't operate seamlessly and don't remove set-in stains easily
At under $100, it's quite affordable, which makes it a good buy for budget shoppers. However, limited tank capacity, the fact that it's upright, and no auto clean or auto dry features, detract from the overall quality. It does include a limited two-year warranty, however, not all accessories are covered. So, make sure you know what's protected if you choose this model.
SpotBot Pet handsfree Spot and Stain Cleaner
This best Spot carpet cleaner Bot features deep-reaching technologies, for deeper penetration of carpet and upholstery to get out tough stains. It features a pet hands-free bot to target pet stains and urine, and the unit does all of the scrubbings for you. So, you never have to get your hands dirty, while you're cleaning up after the mess your dog left behind for you in the home.
Some of the best features this product delivers include-
- . It's hands-free so you don't have to do the heavy lifting, pushing, or utilize too much force to get tough stains out
- There are preset cleaning cycles including spray, brush, and suction, to permanently remove pet stains
- It features two hands-free cleaning modes (quick clean and fresh stains, to target new/fresh stains)
- It comes with a 3-inch crevice tool
- You receive a pet stain & odor, Oxy Boost cleaning solution sample with your purchase
These are great features for the pet owner. If you have a pet that soils the carpeting regularly, this little machine will do the work for you. There are some cons that you should note prior to purchasing this unit which include-
- An extremely small 32-ounce tank capacity
- The crevice tool has a smaller hose than other cleaners, so you're limited in mobility for manual cleaning options
- The short, 15-foot cord length means you have to work near wall outlets to reach set-in stains
This model features excellent Bot technology. It does include a two-year limited warranty as well. For about $145, it's a reasonable price for this professional cleaner, which has automatic and preset cleaning options. The main drawbacks are the small tank capacity and the fact that it is a cleaner which primarily (only) focuses on pet stains. So, it might be ideal for pet owners, but for other stains and cleaning, there are other models that might be better suited for you.
Hoover PowerDash Pet Compact Carpet Cleaner
This upright Hoover cleaner is compact, lightweight, and easy to maneuver, virtually anywhere around the home. It guarantees up to two times as much suction and cleaning power than traditional standup vacuum cleaners. So, it'll target stains and dirt around the home with great efficiency.
Some of the main benefits this model features-
- It has a power spin pet brush roller delivering powerful carpet cleaning and removing fur, stains, and help eliminate odors in the home
- It features heat force power, which helps reduce the drying times with water cleaning solutions
- It's ideal for high traffic areas which are difficult to maneuver
- There's a removable nozzle so you can pinpoint specific areas you're cleaning
- It has a long 20-foot hose, so you can freely roam around the home, stairs, and work on cleaning upholstery, without worrying about running out of room
What about the drawbacks? There are some detractors which might make this model less than ideal for some consumers which include-
- The half-gallon tank capacity requires frequent refilling for larger rooms/areas
- The 10-inch cleaning path is a little smaller than other upright vacuums, so you'll have to go over the same surface/area more than once
- You don't receive any accessories, attachments, nor do you receive a cleaning solution or product, as is the case with other portable carpet cleaners on this list
If you are on a tight budget, this might be the carpet cleaner coming in at under $100. It's made by a reliable company in Hoover and features a new spin brush model, which is intended to target high traffic areas easily. It's fairly lightweight, at about 13 pounds, so it's quite easy to maneuver around the home as well. Like other portable carpet cleaners on the list, it also includes a limited, two-year warranty.
Bissell Multi-Purpose Portable Carpet Cleaner
This portable carpet and upholstery cleaner is compact, lightweight, and delivers a powerful punch in terms of suction power, for its mighty small footprint. A strong spray and suction technology help target tough, set-in pet stains. If your pet soils the carpets regularly, this is a simple to use the machine, that'll help target those areas and prevent stains from penetrating your carpet's fibers.
Some of the best features this model delivers includes-
- It features quite a large 48-ounce water tank for the size of the compact unit
- It uses a hydro rinse tool attachment, making it easy to clean out the hose after every use
- You'll receive a trial size carpet cleaning solution to test on pet stains
- You'll receive a three-inch tough stain removal hand tool
- Easily target carpets, rugs, area rugs, auto interiors, stairs, and flooring
What are the primary drawbacks of this carpet cleaner? Some of the cons include-
- A shorter warranty, with one-year limited warranty rather than two-years
- It has a shorter hose than other units and shorter cord length, so you'll have to work close to wall outlets when cleaning
- A couple of reviews mention that the model isn't ideal for longevity, it doesn't last as long as more expensive portable carpet cleaners
At 11.6 pounds, this unit is extremely compact and easy to utilize virtually anywhere. Although it's small, the tank size trumps other models on this list. It also features specialized hydro rinse technologies, to keep the hose free from buildup.
It's ideal for spot treating and small stains on carpets, but not large cleaning jobs. A drawback of this model, in comparison to others on the list of the best carpet cleaners, is that it included a one-year limited warranty, not two-year, like most other cleaners we've focused on. For about $90 it's a great deal for those on a budget.
BISSELL Little Green Pro Heat Portable Carpet Cleaner
This Little Green portable cleaner by BISSELL is a compact, multipurpose wet vac capable of targeting the toughest set-in stains and pet stains around your home. It delivers thorough, deep cleaning action, although it doesn't operate like a steam cleaner. The powerful spray and suction action will target tough stains, and help dry your carpet in one step.
Some of the primary features that make this a great unit include-
- More powerful than other machines with 9 amp of suction power
- It dries quickly, so your floor won't get smelly after spot treating
- The built-in hot water heater helps deliver greater results
- There's a separate clean and dirty water tank, at 48 ounces capacity, which is similar to most other models reviewed
- It comes with a flexible hose, tough stain removal attachment, and spraying crevice tool to pinpoint tough soil or stains
There are some drawbacks worth noting with this model which are-
- The hose length is only four feet, which is shorter than comparable models
- The warranty is only a one-year limited, not a two-year warranty
- Some reviews mention the sprayer gets jammed, so it doesn't produce much cleaning solution while trying to spot treat certain areas
The model is compact, versatile, and is ideal for spot and for stain treating. Although it doesn't include as long a warranty as other models, it is one of the portable carpet cleaners for those who want powerful suction. The 9 amps are higher than most other models we've covered. At about $125, it is a little pricier than the previous multi-purpose BISSELL cleaner but does deliver more power and a larger coverage area base for the increased price you're paying.
Hoover Smartwash Automatic Carpet Cleaner
This upright Hoover portable, automatic carpet cleaner features excellent technology to make spot treatment and carpet cleaning a breeze. When you push it forward, it will automatically clean the surfaces you are targeting. And, when you pull the upright vacuum back, towards your body, it will automatically dry the area, so that your carpets don't remain wet for a long period of time after cleaning.
Some of the best features these upright cleaner features are-
- An auto-clean motion sensing design which eliminates the guesswork when you're cleaning
- The auto-mix dispenses the right amount of formula, for the area you're cleaning
- It has the auto-dry feature which powerfully extracts utilizing HeatForce technology, for faster, and better results
- Flexforce brushes penetrate flooring deeper, to remove dirt, debris, as well as pet stains
- You'll receive a two in one pet tool, a sample bottle of the cleaning solution, a storage accessory bag, and the vacuum has an eight-foot hose; it also features a one-gallon tank capacity as well as a 20-ounce reservoir for the cleaning solution
It's important to recognize some of the drawbacks of this portable carpet cleaner which includes-
- The model weighs in at about 19 pounds, so it's much heavier than smaller, portable compact cleaners
- It doesn't feature a quick cleaning mode setting
- The limited two-year warranty doesn't cover all accessories, attachments, or parts
This vacuum by Hoover is bulkier than others on the list. It is an upright cleaner, so it isn't as easy to transition when working on stairs or other surfaces (although it does include the hand crevice tools you can use). The large reservoir and auto mix and auto dry, are two excellent features others on this list don't deliver.
It's backed by the Hoover name and exceptional quality. It is on the higher end of the price range, at about $180, but does deliver a larger cleaning area (12 inches), greater suction power, and a larger capacity for the tank, helping reduce the total amount of cleaning time required to finish the job.
Hoover Spotless Portable Carpet Cleaner
This Hoover model is compact, portable, and easy to carry around virtually anywhere in the home. It has a special feature for upholstery cleaning, targets set in carpet stains, and it features a dual tank technology. So, your clean water remains clean, and soil/debris and the dirt you've collected while cleaning carpets, won't mix in with that reservoir tank.
Some of the features which distinguish this model from others on the list of the portable carpet cleaners include-
- The self-cleaning technology flushes the hose after each use. Bacteria won't buildup and clog the unit
- It has separate clean and dirty water reservoir tanks, which isn't seen on all models of portable, handheld units
- You'll receive a trial size cleaning solution as well as an antimicrobial rubber nub tool
- It has cleaning features for spraying, scrubbing, and pet stain removal on virtually any surface
- A longer reach five-foot hose allows you to clean stairs, carpets, area rugs, or work on the upholstery that's been soiled
There are some drawbacks worth noting on this model which include-
- The 36-ounce capacity filter isn't as large as other cleaners
- The red scrubber brushes can stick to surfaces if you're not careful when cleaning
- Some reviews note the portable cleaner doesn't last very long after purchasing
It does include a limited two-year warranty. The compact unit is under 10 pounds, which allows you to easily transport it virtually anywhere in the home. It is under $80, which makes it highly affordable. The primary issue you might note is that it doesn't have as much suction power as some of the more expensive units on this list. But, for portability, ease of use, and cleaning hard to reach areas, this is a great carpet cleaner to invest in.
BISSELL Turboclean Carpet Cleaner
This upright vacuum cleaner includes a sample trial size gel pretreatment as well as a cleaning solution, so you are ready to go out of the box with this carpet cleaner. At 12 pounds, it is one of the lightest upright vacuum models you'll find, much lighter than comparable Hoover models which are close to 20 pounds in weight.
Some of the primary selling points/pros of this model include-
- The lightweight design makes it highly maneuverable when working around the home.
- Half-Gallon tank capacity is larger than other models on this list
- It features a four-row, rotating dirt lifter power brush for penetrating and deep cleaning of set-in stains
- The two-tank system keeps clean and dirty water separate
- It's collapsible and folds away for storage neatly
There are some drawbacks which consumers should consider with this carpet cleaner include-
- An extra small cleaning path is only about 9.5 inches across
- The one-year limited warranty doesn't cover all parts and accessories
- Several reviewers note that it's not durable and doesn't penetrate carpets deeply when cleaning
At just under $100, this is a great model for those who are on a tight budget looking for the carpet cleaner. It is inspired by pet owners, so if you have a pet that soils the carpet or upholstery regularly, this is a great find. It's also compact and portable, and extremely lightweight. A major drawback, however, is the small cleaning path. So, it'll take longer to get through the job, if you are doing a whole-house clean, rather than just spot treating a small area.
BISSELL Pet Carpet Cleaner
This portable, cordless cleaner, is ideal for those who want a quick and easy job, no mess, and no-frills. It has a power rating of about 7.2 volts, which is comparable to a couple of the other models we've covered on this list. It's a pet-stain eraser, so it's specifically intended to help target pet stains, soil, and messes your dog or cat tracks inside the house during the course of the day.
What are some of the best selling points? Some prominent features that set this apart from others on the list include-
- It's cordless; grab and go, you aren't stuck near a wall/outlet, and you can freely roam the house when spot treating pet messes
- It features spray and scrub, suction cleaning actions for carpets, upholstery, stairs, area rugs, and other surfaces
- It includes a ready to use formula, which doesn't require mixing with water
- A four hour charge time will deliver countless cleaning trips around the home
- It can target nearly any pet stain including urine, vomit, dirt, debris, and other stains including wine, oils, tomato sauce, and more
It's highly portable and easy to use; however, there are some drawbacks with this BISSELL handheld cleaner including-
- An extremely small 8-ounce tank capacity
- It only has a three-inch cleaning surface area
- Although the four hour recharge time isn't long, when the battery is low, you aren't going to get the same deep cleaning and penetrating action for highly effective spot treatment
If you want portability, no fuss, quick and easy cleaning, this is the model you'll want to consider. It is one of the best carpet cleaners, it's cordless, and it comes in at under $90. It features a built-in brush, and it can tackle tough pet stains, not just urine and specifically intended for pet owners, so it might not be the best portable carpet cleaner for those who want a more general product, for everyday household messes.
Key Components of Best Carpet Cleaner
All carpet cleaners have several important components including;
- This pumps the cleaning solution and water from the tank to the sprayer. It can spray water in different pressure levels varying from 60psi to 500psi
- This part sucks up dirty water and dirt out of the carpet and direct it to the recovery tank
- Recovery tanks. This is where the dirty water and debris are stored after being sucked up from the carpet
- Solution tank. This tank holds water used to rinse out the solution used from the carpet. The size of these tanks varies from 4.5 gallons to 17 gallons
- Heating unit. Although not all carpet cleaners have this component, most do have. It is meant to generate heat that produces steam meant to make the carpet cleaning process easier
When purchasing a carpet cleaner, check if it has all the above components. These are the most important components/features of carpet cleaners.
What's The Best Carpet Cleaner Available on The Market?
So, what's the best carpet cleaner? Let's break down your options. We'll focus on affordability, ease of use, and cleaning action.
Ease of Use:
The BISSELL Pet Stain Eraser is the best option here. It's cordless which is a major selling point for those who want quick and easy cleaning action. You don't have to use water, meaning you're getting a powerful solution that isn't watered down. It can easily spot treat multiple surfaces.
It's intended for pet stains, so it can get out set in urine, vomit, or dirt, with the slightest of ease. It delivers a powerful 7.2 volts of power and features a four-hour recharge time, which you can easily set overnight, so you're ready to go any time of the day.
At under $90, it's also a steal in terms of affordability, for those who are looking for a bargaining unit. The primary drawbacks are the small cleaning surface area and lack of suction. It's also a specialized unit, so it might not be the best for general cleaning, but more so for pet stains. The warranty is also available through a third-party provider, so it might not cover as much as a warranty that is extended through the manufacturer directly.
If you're a price-conscious shopper looking for the carpet cleaner, the BISSELL Multi-Purpose cleaner is a great option. It's under $100, features spray and suction technologies, attachment tools, and set-in stain removal capabilities. It has a dual-tank to keep clean and dirty water separate, as well as large 48-ounce capacity. It spots treats and is highly compact, making it easy to work around multiple areas.
The Little Green ProHeat is another great BISSELL option. It is a little pricier at about $125, however, it does incorporate the HeatClean, which helps dry your carpets faster, so you aren't going to have to worry about water getting into the carpet.
The Hoover SmartWash is the optimal choice if you're after cleaning power. It delivers greater suction power, it has a large cleaning base than all other models, and it features a self-cleaning hose, so bacteria doesn't build up in the carpet cleaner over time. It's not highly portable as an upright model.
However, it does include crevice and handheld tools, if you'd like to do spot cleaning and treatment action on stairs or other surfaces. It's great for cleaning pet stains, however, it is an all-purpose carpet cleaner model. So, you aren't limited in use.
At close to $200, it is the most expensive on the list. However, the power, suction, performance, ability to clean multiple stains, and large cleaning surface area, make it the top choice. And, with the two-year warranty, you're covered if something goes wrong.
Types of Portable Carpet Cleaners
There are Three primary options when it comes to choosing a carpet cleaner. These are
As the names imply, the portable, handheld units are small. You can carry them around with the handle above the carpet cleaner, some feature push-wheel design so you can move around your home while cleaning. These carpet cleaners are usually round in design, with the hose sitting around the base of the unit for storage.
The scrubbers sit at the base of the carpet cleaners. Many of them also include attachment heads and additional nozzles, so you can use handheld tools for spot treatment. Some of these models also feature auto clean and auto dry functions. So, you simply choose the cleaning mode (suction, spot treat, steam, etc) and let the carpet cleaner do the work for you.
If you prefer the freedom of mobility, the ability to easily carry the carpet cleaner around the home, and want to focus on multiple rooms/areas, this is the superior option of the two styles of carpet cleaners.
These portable cleaners are similar to your traditional vacuum cleaner. They stand upright for storage, and you'll use them similar to a standard vacuum. You'll stand behind the carpet cleaner and push it forward/backward to spot treat or clean soil in the home. Many of them have auto functions that will clean when you push it forward and dry the area when you pull the carpet cleaner back.
Upholstery portable carpet cleaner. These cleaners are meant to clean upholsteries such as curtains, sofa, bed, and plush carpets. They can remove dust mites and allergens such as pet hair from your carpet.
These models often include attachment handles you can use for spot treating upholstery, stairs, and other surfaces. Although they're bulkier and harder to maneuver than portable cleaners, they're typically more powerful, deliver greater suction power, and they can clean a larger surface area for spot treating or general cleaning needs.
Some additional information about Upright,Handheld carpet cleaner
- Upright portable carpet cleaner. These are the most popular.Best Upright carpet cleaner have their motor and cleaning unit all housed in one vacuum unit. They have a wide cleaning head and powerful suction capacity that makes them efficient.
- Handheld portable carpet cleaners. These are small in size, and are meant to be used in places where big carpet cleaners cannot reach. They are lightweight, and thus suitable for cleaning carpets and upholstery
Portable Carpet Cleaner vs Portable Vacuums:
How do the best carpet cleaners differ from best portable vacuums? In several ways. Some of the primary differences include
- Portable carpet cleaners use water for spot treating, vacuums don't have water/solution based cleaning
- Vacuum cleaners pick up loose particles, dust, and dirt, while portable carpet cleaners remove these items, plus set-in stains
- Portable carpet cleaners don't lose suction on stairs or upholstery, some vacuums do
- There are different cleaning modes/settings on portable carpet cleaners, this isn't the case with vacuum cleaners
- Portable carpet cleaners are ideal for spot treatment, vacuum cleaners are best for everyday maintenance of carpets to remove dust and debris
Think of the carpet cleaner as a sidekick to your vacuum. You should vacuum the home daily to keep dirt, dust, and debris at a minimum. If you have pets, it's also going to help keep fur buildup down. Your carpet cleaner should be used for spot treatment, to tackle tough stains, and to get out the stains your vacuum cleaner won't. Using heat treatment and water, it's penetrating the fibers of your carpet, to pull out set-in stains.
How To Choose The Best Portable Carpet Cleaners
What should you look for when purchasing a carpet cleaner? There are several features you'll want to consider when deciding on a new model for use at home or in the office. For starters, brand name reputation matters. It's worth spending a little more on a model manufactured by a company that has a long-standing history in manufacturing the best vacuum cleaners and spot cleaners.
Apart from brand name recognition, some additional features you'll want to look for include
- Lightweight design so you can easily mobilize around the home when cleaning different surfaces
- Powerful suction which enables the portable carpet cleaner to remove as much water from carpets as possible
- A model that's easy to store
- Compact, foldable, removable parts, etc.
- A model which has pet capabilities (dander and fur removal, pet stain removal, urine removal, etc)
- Large tank size for water and cleaning solution so you aren't constantly refilling when cleaning
Make sure you choose the carpet cleaner models with a lengthy warranty and one that's backed by company guarantees. You might also want to consider additional attachments and accessories, as well as customer reviews when comparing the best carpet cleaner models available
HoweverThere are many brands that make portable carpet cleaners in the market and it can be hard to choose the right one for your needs. To help you get the best portable carpet cleaner for your needs, we have compiled several considerations you need to keep in mind;
Just like vacuum cleaners, if a portable carpet cleaner is heavier, then it will be hard to clean your carpet and will sink into it. For people with plush carpets, having a lightweight portable carpet cleaner is more important as it will help you do the job easily without sinking into your fluffy carpets.
This is another feature to look at. However, it is important that we say that there is no wrong or right size of the tank as it all depends on your cleaning needs. If you want a tank that allows you to clean the whole room without requiring a refill, then you need to go for a larger tank.
However, if you only want a portable carpet cleaner for spot cleaning around the sofa and carpet, then you should go for a smaller tank. Keep in mind that a small tank will require frequent refills, and this will interrupt your cleaning.
Just like regular vacuums, portable carpet cleaners are also powered by a motor. The motor dictates the power of the engine. Suction is the airflow at the cleaner’s opening.
If you want a carpet cleaner that can heat water for cleaning tough stains, then you should go for one with a powerful suction.
If you don’t want a carpet cleaner that doesn’t heat water, then you should go for one with even more powerful suction to get better results.
Keep in mind that more power means more noise. A powerful carpet cleaner usually has a noise rating of over 80 decibels. When choosing a portable cleaner, go for one with higher suction power so as to reach deepest stains, whether they are on a carpet, rug, or upholstery.
You should also get a carpet cleaner that is durable. When it comes to durability, it all boils down to the quality of materials used. A cleaner made using high-quality materials will not only last longer, but also run efficiently and quietly.
Remember that investing in durable equipment means that it will serve you longer and will not require repair soon.
Ease of Use
You know that a cleaner is easy to use if you can put it together easily without the need to use a manual. If you have to look up the manual to see how the nozzle or hose is attached, then it means that the cleaner is too complex, and you should stay away from it.
A good portable carpet cleaner should have a separate water tank for dirty water and cleaner water. This is for obvious reasons- easy disposal of dirty water.
That’s why big brands such as Bissell are so popular because they make easy-to-use carpet cleaners.
Other things you should consider;
- Length of the cord and hose. They should be long enough to enable you to reach every corner of your room
- Pet capabilities, especially for people who have dogs at home. Go for a portable carpet cleaner that can clean pet stains
- Look for a cleaner with a good number of useful accessories.
By keeping these factors in mind, you should be able to choose the right portable carpet cleaner.
Best Uses for Portable Carpet Cleaners
There are several instances you'll want to use a carpet cleaner. It's great for removing pet stains. Urine, vomit, dirt your pet drags in, and soil that vacuums won't remove, are easily tackled by carpet cleaners. It's also great for spot treatment. If there's a red wine stain on the couch, a carpet cleaner can remove it while vacuum cleaners can't.
Many people also use carpet cleaners in their cars. You can spot-treat oil stains or other dirt that's gotten onto the upholstery of your seats. If you have kids at home, you can spot-treat areas in their rooms that have stains or other dirt they've dragged in over the course of the week.
Primarily, you'll want to use your carpet cleaner in instances your vacuum can't get out stains. Or, if there's a stain that would penetrate your carpet, if you would attempt to pat dry it with a cloth to remove, a carpet cleaner can easily remove it. In instances where
- Suction power is required
- Solution/cleaning agents are needed
- You need to spot treat an area
- Remove stains that are hard to get out (urine, oil, wine, chocolate, etc)
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)
So, what should you know when choosing a carpet cleaner? Consider a few of these common questions/answers.
Are upright or portable/handheld cleaners superior?
The answer will depend on how you plan on using it. An upright carpet cleaner is best in situations where you're cleaning a larger surface. They have a much larger cleaning base than portable units. If, however, you want portability, ease of use, and spot treatment is your primary purpose, the carpet cleaners might be the handheld models.
How do you use a carpet cleaner
You'll use a carpet cleaner to get rid of set-in stains. Oil, wine, dog urine or vomit, dirt, and soil, are some of the primary stains you can remove with the carpet cleaner. Of course, suction power, cleaning options, the type of solution. you use, and other variables will also affect how well the carpet cleaner works. Therefore, it's important to understand the intended uses, so you get the best results.
Can a carpet cleaner remove all stains?
No. But, most portable carpet cleaners are ideal for removing
- Pet stains
- Dirt and soil
- Wine or chocolate
- Oil stains
- Foot tracks or prints
- General dirt or mud tracked inside the home
If a carpet cleaner can't remove the stain, you might have to contact a professional carpet cleaning company for the job.
How much suction power should the carpet cleaner possess?
A good amount of suction is anywhere between 7 to 12 amps of power. Obviously, the more expensive the carpet cleaning machine is, the more capabilities and power it will utilize. So, depending on your budget, and what stains you're trying to target, this is typically enough suction power to get in most pet stains and general stains around the home.
What's the average price of a carpet cleaner?
Several variables will affect the price of the carpet cleaning units. Some things which affect pricing are
- Brandname, model, series
- Size, design, functionality
- Upright vs portable models
- Suction power and cleaning options/settings
- If it dries and wet cleans
- If there are speed clean settings or other options
- Whether or not you receive attachments with the cleaner
You can find a great carpet cleaner for a price of $75 to $175. Anything over $200 might be best for commercial or industrial use, and you probably don't need to spend that much for a household carpet cleaner.
Why Should You Invest In A Portable Carpet Cleaner?
In addition to helping you clean carpets and stains whenever you spot them, there are other benefits of getting a portable carpet cleaner;
- They are lightweight, and thus you can carry them around when cleaning your room. They are also perfect for spot cleaning. You can carry most of them up and down the stairs without fearing about toppling it over.
- User-friendly usage. Most have easy control panels and less complications, which means that you will be able to use them easily
- Enables one to do quick clean-ups. If you are looking for a unit that is perfect for spot cleaning, then a portable carpet cleaner does a great job.
- Portable and lightweight, which means even the elderly can use them
Now that you are convinced that a portable carpet cleaner is the best, let’s discuss the types of these cleaners.
What's Right for you?
As highlighted, the best portable carpet cleaner will vary from household to household. Make sure you consider the brand name, suction power, performance, and rely on consumer reviews to help you find the best product available.
It's also ideal to consider how you plan on using it, to find the right model for you. For example, if you have pets who soil the carpets regularly, you might choose a pet-specific cleaner. If, on the other hand, it's just for everyday cleaning or stain removal, you might opt for a general carpet cleaner.
Regardless of your budget or intended uses, these are some of the best carpet cleaners available today. Consider these models when the time comes for you to invest in a new product for use at home!