What is more annoying than a squeaking and stuck sliding door? It’s more annoying when you get stuck outside or inside a room, because your room’s glass sliding door got stuck. Isn’t it? So, how can you solve the problem? How can you prevent this annoying thing to happen?
Well, for instance, you can use lubricants. Lubricants decrease the friction of the sliding doors and make them move. In this article, I’m going to review 7 best lubricants for glass sliding doors with a buying guide. Read till the last if you want to learn more.
In a Hurry Up…
Though all of these lubricants are best in their own way. But if you don’t have enough time to read through the whole article, I’ve summarized these suggestions to only the 3 most recommended ones among the best lubricants for sliding doors. So, check this quick review if you’re in a hurry. Though I suggest if you can, read through the whole article in detail.
DuPont Teflon Silicone Lubricant is a silicon-based spraying lubricant with long-lasting effects. What makes it stand out is it’s multi-purpose. You can not only use it for glass sliding doors, but you can also apply for other tasks as well.
WD-40 Specialist Water Resistant Silicone Lubricant is also a multi-purpose lubricant. However, the most unique feature it has is that it is effective in high temperatures. It can work perfectly on up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit! Moreover, its quick-drying feature makes it really easy to use. You won’t have to see any mess because the remaining part will vaporize away leaving just a slippery film layer on the surface.
DuPont Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant is a very popular lubricating spray that can lubricate and protect almost anything that needs lubricating. Its heavy protection system can protect the surface from any kind of harmful components. It even works in coastal areas, where the air is filled with moisture and salt, the ideal place for rusting and corroding metals. Moreover, it works in any kind of extreme weather and temperature condition which makes it much more reliable.
Now that we’ve seen the short and quick recommendations of lubricants, let’s get on with the detailed review. There are many lubricant types and brands. You can choose from any of them. However, to make your choice easier, I have shortlisted the 7 best lubricants for glass sliding doors with their detailed review.
1.DuPont Teflon Silicone Lubricant
DuPont Teflon Silicone Lubricant is a light-duty and clean lubricant for your glass sliding door. Its Silicon component along with Teflon Fluoropolymer is safe for non-metal objects that generally get damaged because of traditional lubricants.
- It is waterproof. So, no amount of rain or washing can erase its effects.
- It lubricates the glass sliding doors and also protects and preserves the effects for a long time.
- You can use this lubricant on rubbers, vinyl, metal, plastic, leather, and wood products. So, it is a multipurpose lubricant.
- It can remove the binding of windows, doors, hinges, locks, and so on. It also treats the squeaking sounds.
- This lubricant prevents rust formation, oxidation, and any kind of corrosions a metal might face.
- It can also protect tools like fishing gears, farm equipment from any kind of corrosives, chlorine, and even salt.
- You can use it on different other equipment. So, its use is not limited to sliding doors.
- This light-duty, silicon consisting of lubricant will keep the insides of sliding doors clean and will have a long-lasting effect.
- It will not dry up after applying easily. So, you don’t have to worry about the effects much.
- It is mainly a spray product. This makes the application really smooth and easy.
- It’s super slippery and can make your sliding doors really easy to move through.
- After application, the remaining part slips down the floor. If you don’t clean it properly afterwards, accidents will occur because of its high slippery trait.
2.WD-40 Specialist Water Resistant Silicone Lubricant
WD-40 Specialist Water Resistant Silicone Lubricant lubricates and protects from water and any dust particle. It has a special formula that makes it dry up quickly so that it won’t be messy after application. But that doesn’t compromise with the lubricating effect it has on the sliding door.
- This lubricant has silicon as the main component. So, it will not be sticky that attracts dirt and dust particles.
- It will give a waterproof and also it coats the sliding door that lessens the friction on the surface. Moreover, it can protect the doors from decaying and rusting.
- It is more volatile in nature. So, it can give a distinct, stain-resistant, and hard film over the surface. This film layer protects the surface for further harm.
- You can use this on rubber, plastic, and vinyl surfaces besides metal ones.
- Its Smart Straw Spray function sprays 2 ways for a more precise stream or sprays with fan shape.
- It can protect a lot of products including garage, shop, or home ones like valves, cables, hinges, sliding doors and windows, locks, pulleys, and so on.
- The optimum temperature for using this lubricant is 100 degrees Fahrenheit to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Its quick-drying formula is very convenient. You don’t need to worry about cleaning the lubricants afterwards.
- If you apply it on anything, because of the thick film layer, rust and any other corrosion will not affect the surface.
- You can use it on any surface, and it supports multi-surface activities.
- It’s still active in high temperatures.
- Because of the great velocity at which the lubricant comes out, it’s a bit tricky to handle.
3.WD-40 Specialist Spray and Stay Gel Lubricant
The manufacturers made WD-40 Specialist Spray and Stay Gel Lubricant to solve any issue without any problems. It is produced with industrial strength quality. Moreover, its extreme penetration is also praiseworthy. It has a special formula that makes its effect lasts longer than any other lubricant. Unlike WD-40 Specialist Water Resistant Lubricant, it has a thick formula to lengthen the time of its effects.
- It can give you a long-lasting effect and will not even create a mess after application.
- Because of its thick gel-like structure, you can apply it on vertical surfaces and moving parts like rollers, bearings, cables, gears, and chains easily.
- Its gel formula also resists water and removes moisture by its self-healing protection.
- You can use it on any surfaces like metal, rubber, or plastic.
- If you apply it to metals, it protects the metal from any kind of rust or corrosion for 2 years.
- It is compliant with 50 states VOC and NSF (A7 category).
- It can withstand very high temperatures. The optimum temperature range is 100 degrees Fahrenheit to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
- It can give a long-lasting effect which is up to 1 year of application. In some cases, it can give protection for 2 years too.
- Since it’s, gel-like you can apply it on any surface without worrying about it sliding.
- It does not create any mess afterward.
- To maintain its gel-like structure, it contains a few toxic elements. So, you’ll be fine as long as you don’t inhale it directly.
4.PROTEXALL PRODUCTS, 11 oz 11 Ounce L Wax Alum Slick Lubricant
The PROTEXALL Products Alum Slick Lubricant is a spray lubricant that can protect from corrosion and restore the shine on the lustrous surface for months. It works exclusively on Aluminum surfaces. This superior grade cleaner and protector lubricant can prevent oxidation rather easily.
You can use it as aluminum drilling and cutting fluid. You can get the maximum results if you use it where the air is filled with salt, like in front of the ocean. It’s because the salt in the air promotes corrosion and rust formation.
- The lubricant penetrates through the surface and release accordingly.
- The slippery effect of this lubricant is long-lasting.
- It can clear up any tarnishing and corrosion.
- When you apply it on sliding doors, the door will not make any squeaking, bumping, clinking, and clunking sounds anymore.
- It can protect your equipment from corroding due to salt in the air.
- It can prevent the wearing of moving parts.
- You can use it on glass sliding doors, windows, awnings, storm shutters, school buses, jalousies, and hinges.
- It works effectively on sliding doors whose ball bearing adjustments are short.
- It gives long-lasting effects if you use it on sliding door tracks.
- If the sliding door got stuck, applying it in front of it can solve your problems.
- It can make your glass sliding doors faster than mainstream lubricating products.
- The leftover film on the surface is not sticky. So, the accumulation of dirt and dust is comparatively lesser than any other lubricant.
- It emits a pungent smell which is harmful and can create irritation. Either wear a mask or ensure proper ventilation while applying this lubricant.
5.3-IN-ONE - 100581 Professional Garage Door Lubricant
The main reason behind designing 100581 Professional Garage Door Lubricant is the maintenance of Garage doors, whether commercial or residential. But you can also use it for other glass sliding doors too. The 3-in-one brand has been in the industry for over 100 years. So, you can rest assured about the lubricant’s quality.
- The lubricant is graded for professional use. So, it can ensure smooth operation throughout residential or commercial area garage door systems.
- You can prevent stickiness on metal sliding doors. You can also apply it on hinges, sliding door tracks, sliding door ball bearings, sliding door tracks, pulleys, chains, and so on.
- It can also act as a protecting agent against any kind of corrosion and components that make glass sliding doors produce squeaking sounds.
- It dries up quickly, so it doesn’t leave any mess behind after you’re done working. Therefore, dirt, dust particles, and any other contaminants will not accumulate afterward.
- The lubricant is permanently attached to the surface, and the hinged straw of the lubricant can give a precise stream of ejection or spray of a fan shape.
- It prevents rusting and corrosion of the metals.
- This lubricant doesn’t let extra things to stick to the surface giving it a perfectly friction-less finishing.
- It dries up quickly, the drying process only takes a few hours before it’s completely dry.
- The lubrification stays for a long time so you don’t need to lube the glass sliding doors frequently.
- The viscosity of this lubricant is comparatively lesser. So, it’s sort of troubling since the more jelly-like a lubricant is, the better it is to use.
6.Dupont Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant
DuPont Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant is another popular choice. It is one of the most reliable ones in the market because of its high-performance. It can work both in extremely low and high temperatures.
Moreover, its superior lubrification is really praiseworthy when it comes to lubricating any glass sliding doors or any other surfaces. The lubricating effect of this DuPont product is so strong that even if you’re using it on heavy-duty equipment, it will give you a proper easy-peasy handling experience.
- The Teflon component increases the lubricant’s protection against the wearing of surfaces and also increases its lubrification.
- It contains different additives and compounds that decrease corrosion and prevents it from happening. It also protects against rust formation and dust accumulation.
- It provides maximum durable lubrification with its wet-style lubricating process.
- This lubricant is highly resistant to water. So, whatever the weather may be, it will not be removed because of rain or moisture.
- You can use this lubricant for any kind of general-purpose. It’s not meant to be for industrial use, but you can use it on home equipment for greater results.
- It works on an extremely low temperature to very high temperatures. The optimum temperature range for it to work is from -30 degrees Fahrenheit to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- It can give Superior Rust Prevention on the metallic surface even when there is salt air around.
- It gives off a very low odor, so you can use it indoors without worrying about toxicity.
- Its low surface tension enables it to penetrate deep into the rusty and corroded inaccessible areas to treat them.
- It can work on practically any temperature, starting from -30 degrees ~ 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The squeaking sound treatment and sticking door problem solve lasts longer.
- It is comparatively more expensive which arises the question of affordability.
7.Blaster Silicone Lubricant
The Blaster Silicone Lubricant is enriched with more concentrated silicone than any other lubricant producing brands. It provides a long-lasting lubrification. Moreover, it also contains Teflon Fluoropolymer which enhances its performance by manifold. Its distinct, crystal-clear, and non-evaporating formula prevents the wearing of the surface because of constant friction. It also prevents rust and stain formation.
- It has a remarkable concentration of silicon in it. So, its lubrification lasts longer than any other lubricant in the industry.
- It contains Teflon Fluoropolymer. Teflon fluoropolymer accelerates the lubrification process and ensures its durability.
- You can apply it on surfaces made up of various components like elastomers, plastics, wood, vinyl, rubber, leather including metal. It not only lubricates these surfaces, but it also preserves their quality.
- If you buy the package, it comes with 16 SL, 4 packs of Blaster Industrial Strength Silicone Lubricant.
- It has a super long-lasting lubricating effect.
- It prevents the accumulation of dirt and dust.
- It protects metals and other vulnerable things from moisture and rust.
- This lubricant doesn’t stain and is very safe to use.
- You have to apply the lubricant with extra care because the sprayer is inconvenient to use.
Now that you’ve read the review, you should equally know what to look for in a lubricant and what should be the considerable factors to it.
Buying Guide for Buying the Best Lubricants for Glass Sliding Doors
Some factors need consideration when you buy lubricants. So, when you’re about to buy the lubricants for glass sliding doors, check if it’s –
Withstanding ability through extreme temperatures:
During extreme temperatures, these sliding doors tend to get stuck more often. So, your lubricant should be able to work then. Some of these lubricants work in temperature as high as 350 degrees Fahrenheit. However, you also need to make sure that it won’t freeze in cold environments.
There are two types of lubricants. Oil-made and silicon-made. Oil-made ones are thicker, so dirt attaches to them pretty easily. Whereas silicon-made ones are long-lasting and non-sticky. So, this is one of the lubricants for glass sliding doors.
Some lubricants contain toxic elements to give them long-lasting effects. Those elements might be toxic for the children and pets. So, either make sure your lubricant is toxicity-free, or volatile. The best lubricants for sliding doors will work both ways.
Variety of uses:
With the number of glass sliding doors, your bought lubricant will finish in no time. However, there are times when you have some to spare after using it on all your glass sliding doors. Then the remaining lubricant will go to waste. So, you should buy the best lubricants for glass doors which also works on other materials.
Do lubricants work on broken doors?
Lubricants do not work on broken doors. There are small ball bearings under the glass sliding doors to make it slide. So, if those balls break, no amount of lubricant will be able to make that door move.
How often do I need to lubricate the glass sliding doors?
Glass sliding doors enhance the beauty of a house greatly. In addition to the views, they also serve as proper ventilation when needed. They are a portion of the interior of your home. So, you need to ensure that they’re always functional. If you see the sliding door having a problem with sliding, before getting on to the severe level apply your lubricant.
How should I apply Lubricant?
You can either apply directly at the corner of the sliding doors at first. Minor problems should be fixed with that. However, if you have problems with the roller then you need to take them out first. The rollers often have problems moving because too much dust particles get stuck onto them. For that, you need to take the rollers out, clean them properly, and then finally apply the lubricant. Your glass sliding door will be fixed in no time!
Can I fix the dirty sliding door track with lubricant?
Honestly, you cannot fix a dirty sliding door track with a lubricant directly. Though those dirty tracks are the main reason behind your sliding door getting stuck. So, when you see your door getting stuck and there is dirt on the tracks, even you can tell that you need to clean it.
However, sometimes you’ll notice that even after cleaning the tracks, the door seems stuck. At that time you need to apply lubricant after cleaning them thoroughly.
Taking care of glass sliding doors is important as it plays a huge role in your house. Not only using them improves the outlook of your house but also, they are very handy as there are no problems relating to the functionality of the doors. However, you need to take care of them properly.
Because sliding doors can be very annoying when they get stuck or make squeaking sounds while sliding. For that, you need to use lubricants. The best lubricants for glass sliding doors will have a long-lasting effect and your doors won’t be stuck easily.
I’m Lucas P King who has a passion, product reviewers, and blogger. However, My Home Gears Blog is created with the objective of sharing comprehensive and in-detailed information to the people on how to get their day to day work done at home through gear available in the market. We do proper research on the products before sharing more details with you on how to use them. Hence, you will be able to go through the recommendations that we share through our blog and make an informed decision to make your life easy in getting things done at home through the assistance of home gear and other equipment available.