Maintaining hygiene at home is not only a necessity; It is compulsory, especially for the elderly. Whatever their age, the elderly deserve a healthy and supportive environment. Sweeping or washing can be a difficult task for the elderly due to poor health and lack of strength. Therefore, using the best lightweight vacuum cleaner for the elderly is good practice as it keeps them active and in motion. Are you in the age bracket or are you have an elderly member in your family?
If yes, then you are at the right place, as we will review the Top 8 best lightweight vacuum cleaners for the elderly in this article.
Here Is The Top 8 Best Lightweight Vacuum Cleaner for Elderly
We know that finding the best lightweight vacuum cleaner for the elderly is not an easy task. There are many products with different characteristics. We understand the fight. This is why we have compiled a list to give you the best. We are sure this will help you quickly select a quality vacuum machine.
- Powerful vacuum: the brush motor and roller can collect delicate and heavy debris. Also, the 12.6 “wide nozzle cleans faster.
- 10 lbs. lightweight upright vacuum: EurekaPowerSpeed is very light and easy to handle. Designed to make a home clean.
- 5 height settings work well on carpets, cotton rugs, hard floors, etc. Smooth wheels ensure that wooden floors are neither scratched nor grooved.
- 1L extra-large capacity: The extra-large cup contains more dirt and requires less frequent emptying. Clean more, empty less.
Eureka has developed the Eureka NEU182A PowerSpeed Lightweight Bagless upright vacuum cleaner to make it fun rather than stressful. It comes with a variety of accessories to give your home the cleaning it deserves, without eating deep into your budget.
Also equipped with features such as an XL dust bin, a washable filter, and a large nozzle, this lightweight yet powerful vacuum will not disappoint. Now you can easily clean the floors because the Eureka PowerSpeed NEU182A upright vacuum cleaner can work far beyond your expectations.
- Lightweight and easy to handle
- Quick-release handle
- Tool for dusting and padding
- Large dust bin
- weighs 10 lbs
- It is not the best choice for hard floors.
- Quite nosey
- The 3 in 1 design with an integrated screwdriver allows you to customize the vacuum cleaner to your needs. For only 4 pounds, you can move this Eureka anywhere
- The signature swivel steering of Eureka improves maneuverability and cleaning efficiency compared to standard vacuum cleaners.
- The Eureka capture nozzle quickly collects large debris, unlike other dust collectors that push larger particles. It is ideal for hard floors, rugs, and low pile carpets.
- Powerful 2 A motor collects dust and pollen while the washable filtration system captures debris and improves air quality.
The Eureka Blaze 3 in 1 vacuum cleaner is a new version of a traditional stick vacuum cleaner. At the same time extremely easy, this device works and moves in a way that you would never expect from a small vacuum cleaner. If you want a vacuum cleaner that solves three of your problems, you should choose Eureka NES215A.
Incredibly designed, this 4-pound vacuum cleaner is a very portable and easy to use model that can reach any angle possible. Its characteristic swivel steering gives its excellent maneuverability. Also, their cleaning results are much higher than other stick vacuum cleaners.
When it comes to collecting large debris, the pickup nozzle does a great job. For this reason, it is ideal for low rugs and hard floors. The Eureka NES215A has washable and reusable filters that will save you money and also be good for the environment.
- Powerful suction.
- Compatible with all surfaces.
- Lightweight and easy to use.
- Long power cord.
- Easy to maintain.
- Extraordinary value for your money.
- It is not as practical as a wireless cable.
- You do not have a motorized brush.
- Sturdy, comfortable, and easy to use Bissell Featherweight Stick vacuum.
- Strong suction makes it ideal for quick handling with multipurpose versatility
- Versatile cleaning: three machines in one: handle cleaner, stair cleaner, and stick vacuum cleaner
- Possess a crevice tool for furniture and a floor nozzle for stairs
- Clean hard floors and surface dirt from carpets. Type of surface: counters, sealed floors, reduced carpet. Dust container capacity: 0.67 L
The modern world of today’s Bissell Featherweight Stick vacuum cleaner has less room for detailed cleaning, especially when it comes to the home. The hustle and bustle of the daily routine are quite challenging to manage. In such circumstances, a practical but useful goal is a blessing from above.
The featherweight stick vacuum is light as a feather, by any literary means. But the ease of the device does not affect its efficiency. This small car can quickly absorb almost any specification of dirt at hand. It is also useful for hard surfaces and soft carpets with large piles.
The brightest feature is the conversion of a stick vacuum cleaner to a handy vacuum cleaner. The vacuum can easily be turned into a manual vacuum and, with a small addition of a floor nozzle, can act as an ideal vacuum for the stairway. The hand vacuum can clean upholstery, curtains, etc. while in motion.
The 15 ft long cable allows mobility at a reasonable level. The removable dust bin can be easily cleaned in the shortest possible time. Above all, the sleek, compact and lightweight design is easy to store and transport.
- A compact and light vacuum cleaner, easy to transport and store.
- Save time and energy by cleaning thoroughly as soon as possible.
- It can be transformed into a hand vacuum cleaner for cleaning tables and upholstered furniture.
- The removable dust bin is easy to clean.
- For maximum performance, it is necessary to empty the dust container frequently.
- Be careful when using hard surfaces.
- 3 in 1 design with an integrated screwdriver allowing you to customize the vacuum cleaner according to your needs. For only 4 pounds, you can take Eureka everywhere
- Eureka Signature rotary steering improves handling and cleaning efficiency compared to standard vacuum cleaners.
- The Eureka capture nozzle quickly collects large debris, unlike other dust collectors that push larger particles.
- Powerful 2 Amp motor collects dust and pollen while the washable filtration system captures debris and improves air quality.
The Eureka Blaze 3 in 1 vacuum cleaner is a new version of a traditional stick vacuum cleaner. At the same time extremely easy, this device works and moves in a way that you would never expect from a small vacuum cleaner.
Eureka has been producing vacuum cleaners at low prices for decades. One of his absolute victories is Blaze 3 in 1. At just $30, you will get a complete vacuum, and, as crazy as it sounds; I don’t think you can buy anything more useful than this Eureka for such a penny.
I sincerely believe that if buyers were free to decide how much money to give for such a device, they would likely be earning more. However, the unit is excellent; you can use it as a stick or turn it into a PDA. Surprisingly, the manufacturer still found room to put a cracking instrument on board.
Another essential characteristic is its ease, of only 4.4 kilograms. The 2 Amp (240W) motor provides constant decent suction.
- Powerful suction.
- Compatible with all surfaces.
- 3 in 1 Advantage.
- Easy to use and Lightweight.
- Long power cord.
- Easy to maintain.
- It is not as practical as a wireless cable.
- It does not possess a motorized brush.
- Complete anti-allergic sealing technology: a HEPA filter; Captures 99.9% of dust and allergens under vacuum
- Large capacity glass, easy to empty; Extended cleaning without interruption
- Powerful and easy; Portable and versatile with only 15.2 pounds
- The direction of rotation: Excellent control for maneuvering around furniture. Dust bin with easy-to-drain XL capacity ensures long-lasting, uninterrupted cleaning
- Close the brush. Deep carpet and regular cleaning of bare floors; the power cord is 25 meters long.
The Shark Navigator DLX upright vacuum cleaner in gold/silver is lightweight and sold for a reason. It has an excellent HEPA filter, which keeps allergens and dust under a vacuum.
The dust bin is straightforward to empty and can be cleaned continuously, which is very useful to keep in mind. It’s 15.2 pounds, so traveling is very simple and comfortable all the time. The unit also has a sense of rotation, which we find very good for almost everyone.
They also have an excellent XL capacity and the power cord is 25 meters long, so it’s a pleasure to use, and you will find it very comfortable and exciting. Also, the design is exceptional, and you can go almost anywhere to clean things up smoothly. It is the best of both worlds, and you will find that it still works very well. Consider giving it a try, and you will appreciate the results.
- High HEPA filter
- Very high capacity
- Accessible to the empty container
- Bushroll shutoff
- It may not work very well on hard floors
- Some customer attachments are missing.
- Redesigned brush roller that allows end-to-end cleaning and collection without dispersion
- 8A motor, powerful enough to ensure decent suction.
- The excellent filtration system, called multi-level filter, is specially designed to capture allergens. However, I would not compare it to a HEPA standard.
- light (only 14.5 lbs)
- Nozzle width 13.5
- 27-foot power cord (unfortunately, rewinding is not necessary)
- The container contains 0.26 liter (1 liter)
It was challenging to choose the best general product from Bissell because everyone is fantastic, but I think the 2252 model possesses it all. First of all, it is more than reasonable for what it offers. All Thanks to its triple action roller and leak-free technology, the Bissell 2252 vacuum cleaner works very well when it comes to collecting pet hair.
It is effortless to handle, so it is easy to vacuum around furniture and corners. It has a 1.5m long tube, which allows you to move around the room quickly.
- Easy to clean around the edges;
- Good price.
- Can get clogged;
- The belt must be cleaned regularly.
- Triple effect brush + non-dispersive technology maximizing the collection of animal hair, even if incorporated
- 27 ‘power cord works automatically for quick and easy storage
- The direction of rotation simplifies the cleaning of furniture and obstacles.
- End-to-end cleaning feature approaches walls and corners at every step
- Replacement filter style 12141
- 1.0-liter dirt capacity
There are many factors to consider when choosing a Bissell model, as we will see later in this article. One aspect to consider is the vacuum cleaner warranty, and in this category, there is no better version of the BISSELL Cleanview swivel rewind model.
With a four-year warranty, this model comes with a triple action brush, which maximizes the pet’s hair collection. It has a 7-meter power cord that operates automatically, allowing for quick and easy storage. It is very convenient for cleaning furniture or corners
- It’s lightweight and easy to operate;
- Excellent warranty;
- Good price.
- It is not the best design.
- The upright vacuum with a 12-inch wide cleaning path is more suitable for cleaning carpets with a lower carpet than regular container vacuums and takes up less storage space.
- A power switch is located on the handle for maximum comfort
- Automatic floor adjustment allows the vacuum cleaner to move between carpets and hard surfaces without changing manual settings.
- High-speed, balanced double-brush roller, rotatable, rotates at 6,500 rpm and moves debris into the cleaning hole for cleaning
- Measures 6 x 13 x 35 inches (H x W x D). Weigh 8 pounds
At 8 kg, the Oreck Commercial XL 2100RHS has become Oreck’s ultra-light vertical vacuum. This device has a discreet style that allows it to be practically flat, which makes it fantastic for cleaning intact home furniture. The side brushes are great for picking up dirt and hair from pets, especially around furniture or bumps.
- Convenient and lightweight.
- Robust brush and suction rollers.
- Long power cord.
- The packaging system contributes to making the flow less unpleasant.
- The side brushes work effectively at the edges and the base.
- The rotating brush has a high speed.
- Not suitable for cleaning upholstery.
- It is not effective in cleaning the floor surface.
- The straps must be replaced every six months.
- Without the direction of rotation.
What To Look In A Lightweight Vacuum Cleaner For The Elderly
The weight of the vacuum cleaner is an essential characteristic required when choosing the best lightweight vacuum cleaner for the elderly. If the vacuum cleaner is heavy, the elderly may have difficulty using it, especially if they have to go up and downstairs.
Anything over 6 kilograms (2.72 kg) should be considered very heavy, but some exceptions are allowed if most of the weight when cleaning is on the floor.
Power Source– Cordless vacuums are easier to use because there is no cable to pull. Owing to its modern lithium batteries, vacuums without cords generally have more than 10 minutes of functionality with a single charge and excellent suction. However, in most cases, this suction is not as strong as that of a corded vacuum cleaner.
Although the built-in batteries increase the weight of the vacuum cleaner, the weight penalty is justified by the ease of use.
Bag Or Bagless – Disposable vacuum bags are easy to use and, in some cases, cleaner than removing dirt from bagless vacuums. However, dirtbags increase maintenance costs (but not too much), and vacuum-free dirt containers are often designed for quick, easy, and more important removal of dirt from the vacuum cleaner.
Reusable dust bags can be very dirty when emptied. To summarize, choose a bagless unit or perhaps a unit with disposable garbage bags.
Convertible Or Not: many light vacuum cleaners are designed as 2 in 1 units. They can be used as lightweight vacuum cleaners to clean flat surfaces (floors) and as manual units to clean shelves, stairs, furnishings, upholstery, and similar surfaces.
Although 2 in 1 units tend to be slightly heavier than standard or vertical rods, their versatility guarantees a slight weight penalty.
Cleaning Accessories: The accessories required to depend on the cleaning surfaces. But in general, an excellent main cleaning head is needed to clean carpets and floors and a brush to clean high surfaces.
Motorized tools are not maintenance-free tools, but they are much better for lifting the hair, lint, fibers, and similar dirt from carpets.
Air Filtration – True HEPA vacuums eliminate 99.97% of microns and big particles from the airflow and virtually expels clean air. However, true HEPA air filtration also has some drawbacks, such as increased airdrop in air filters, more expensive filters, more costly vacuums, and the like.
How Does A Vacuum Cleaner Work?
In its most natural form, a vacuum cleaner needs only three main components to operate.
When you switch on the vacuum cleaner, electricity is supplied to the vacuum motor inside the machine. This causes the fan to rotate, creating a negative pressure that forces air into the vacuum.
The collection compartment contains all the debris and dirt sucked in by the nozzle. The compartment can be a cloth, a disposable bag, or an easy-to-empty container.
The filter ensures that the air escaping from the vacuum cleaner is free of dust and debris. HEPA filters are preferable and are idyllic for allergy sufferers.
Types of Lightweight Vacuum Cleaner for Elderly:
Lightweight vacuum cleaners are the same, whether for the young or old. The elderly can use any vacuum cleaner, but it should be lighter than the traditional one.
If you are only asking for vacuum types, there are more than 20 vacuum types. We will mention here some facts for the elderly.
Upright vacuums are the most classic type of vacuum. This cleaning product includes all components of the vacuum cleaner in one unit. When you push the unit over the floor, the cleaning head at the bottom gets started.
Some people think that upright vacuums are not for the elderly. The truth is that there are many easy vertical options available in the market. This unit offers maximum power but weighs approximately 10 kilograms.
Stick vacuums are the modern version of an upright vacuum, which is naturally comfortable. The weight of these vacuum cleaners is approximately 2 to 5 kg. The best part is that this vacuum seems traditional, but much lightweight.
These units are perfect for small homes due to power outages. Most of the units are battery operated. However, these are the best options for the elderly.
Canister vacuums are ideal for cleaning bare floors. The weight of these units is in between the stick and the upright vacuum. It weighs from five to fifteen kilograms.
The vacuum cleaner includes a motor and a dirt collection container in the same unit. It has a separate cleaning head, connected by a long tube. Due to their design, these vacuum cleaners can easily reach under furniture.
Backpack vacuums are practically modified vacuums. These units are designed to fit the user’s shoulder. Includes size straps to hold the unit in place. This allows mobility and ease of use. For more comfort and safety, it also offers cooling components and soundproofing.
Robot Vacuum Cleaner
Robot vacuum cleaners look like small robots with round body. It does all the housework like a robot. This is why they are preferred for people with arthritis. During use, the user only needs to keep the dust container clean.
Self-Propelled Vacuum Cleaner
The self-propelled vacuum cleaner comes with a small motor and activates an automatic wheel rotation mechanism. You don’t need to press. All you have to do is turn on the vacuum cleaner. It will move by itself. This is why it is an excellent choice for the elderly or people with physical disabilities.
Handheld Vacuum Cleaner
The best handheld vacuum cleaner is designed for medium tasks. This unit is supplied with suction, with the necessary hoses and accessories. The specialty of these vacuum cleaners is that you can take them everywhere with you.
Things To Consider When Purchasing The Best lightweight Vacuum Cleaner For Elderly:
However, you have seen the ten best lightweight vacuums for the elderly. However, you can’t decide which one to buy? There are a few facts that you need to consider. As long as you know what to look for, it can be easier to make all the decisions. Be sure to check the following facts.
First of all, the weight of the vacuum cleaner counts when buying a lightweight vacuum cleaner for the elderly. Indeed, the elderly lose their strength as they age and can be injured.
It can be difficult for them to handle heavy vacuum cleaners. This is why the weight of the vacuum cleaner must be under the control of the user. The weight depends on the resistance level of the user. No, it must be lightweight.
The next thing to check is the power of a vacuum cleaner. For the most part, the slight vacuum comes with less energy. This is acceptable when trying to clean your small or medium home.
For a large home, you should look for a vacuum cleaner that provides enough energy. No-load power depends on the size of the engine. A smaller engine will offer less power than a larger engine.
In addition to the mechanism, there is another PowerPoint, which is the suction power. If the vacuum cleaner has less suction power, it will not work for the elderly. Therefore, the vacuum must have a higher suction capacity.
Wireless vs. Wired
Whether the vacuum cleaner is wired or wireless, it all depends on your preferences. Ask yourself; are you ready to use a cable during vacuuming? If so, you can choose a vacuum cleaner with a cord.
The wired vacuum provides better suction power and optimal dust capacity. You can use the device for as long as you want and they are relatively cheaper. The only problem is that the cable can restrict access anywhere.
The wireless vacuum cleaner is a smaller and easier handy option than the wired vacuum cleaner. You can use them wherever you want, without worrying about what happens to you.
However, the problem is that this device includes a small dust basket and a discharged battery. You must store them where you can access a socket. They both have positive aspects and are missing, so think about the type you need.
The Location Of The Start Button
The vacuum cleaner start button must be in a place that is easily accessible to the elderly. For most vacuum cleaners, the power switch is located at the bottom. This position is not accessible to the elderly. It is best if the power button is on the handle.
Bagless Vs Bagged
It also depends entirely on your preferences. The bagged vacuum is classic. Store the dirt in a disposable trash bag. You will need to clean the trash bag when it is full.
Bagless vacuums don’t need a trash bag. Here, the mess enters a cup inside the robot. You will need to hold the robot in a basket and press the unlock button.
But the dirt collection capacity is less than that of a bag. Although cleaning dirtbags can be difficult for the elderly, they are easy to replace. In any case, choose what you find useful.
So, The vacuum cleaners that contain bags as filters, can trap all dust and dirt particles in the bag. On the other hand, bagless vacuum cleaners contain advanced filters to trap dust and collect all debris within the dustbin. However, bagless vacuum cleaners could work effectively.
Most current vacuums include HEPA filters capable of capturing dust particles down to 0.3 microns. These filters are an advantage for the elderly who suffer from asthma.
No doubt, you will not buy a vacuum cleaner that bothers your neighbors. This is why you should check the noise level (dB) under a vacuum. The lower the noise level of the vacuum, the better.
The elderly need an easy-to-move vacuum cleaner. It depends entirely on the weight of the vacuum. The lighter the vacuum, the better the maneuverability.
Also, a rotary vacuum head makes the machine manageable. The power option also plays an essential role in vacuum maneuverability.
Type of carpet fibers
You can use the vacuum cleaner to remove dirt from the carpet, which is made of fibers. The carpet fibers are soft, so be careful when cleaning. You must ensure that the vacuum cleaner is not aggressive to the carpet.
In some cases, the vacuum can be aggressive, as in the case of synthetic fiber rugs. Please consult the instruction manual carefully for the compatibility of the vacuum cleaner.
Number Of Accessories
Older people may need more accessories when using a vacuum cleaner. The lighter vacuum cleaner comes with additional tools such as dust brushes, wall chargers, accessory storage, hose extension, and tool bags.
All of these things are a plus for everyone. So make sure your vacuum cleaner is equipped with most accessories. It will facilitate cleaning work for the elderly.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs):
What Is A Vacuum Cleaner?
A vacuum cleaner is a device that removes debris from floors, upholstery, curtains, etc. It is generally managed electrically. Dirt is collected in a dust bag by Vacuum Cleaners
Who Is Considered As An Elderly?
Well, it varies by country and by a person. We are not here to describe many things about the elderly. However, for your information, let us inform you about who should buy a lightweight vacuum cleaner. In the United States, sixty-five years of age or older are considered elderly.
Many people think that it depends entirely on their physical or mental state. It is merely right. Regardless of your age, you should use a lightweight vacuum cleaner in the following cases.
- When you lose strength,
- When you cannot push a heavy vacuum for a long time,
- In the event of injury,
- Or start losing mobility.
What Is The Most Comfortable Vacuum To Push?
Of all types of vacuum cleaners, the self-propelled vacuum cleaner is the easiest to push the vacuum. This is because these units have an automatic drive mechanism. Here, the user does not have to press but must keep control.
Vacuum Cleaners With And Without Bag: Which Is The Best Option For The Elderly?
Well, both are good in their way. The bagged vacuum is the best option, as they tend to trap more dust at a time. But this requires cleaning the bag when the indicator requires it.
On the other hand, the bagless vacuum cleaner uses filters, but it is necessary to clean the dust container frequently. At some point, this can be difficult for the elderly. Therefore, bagged vacuum cleaners are the best option for the elderly.
What Is The Most Straightforward And Most Powerful Vacuum Cleaner?
Upright vacuums are considered the most straightforward and most powerful vacuum. One of the most popular and famous upright vacuums is the Shark ION P50-IC162.
Is The Shark Better Than Dyson?
Shark and Dyson dominate the market with their diversity of products. Both use the same technology and offer excellent performance. With almost similar features, the only difference is in the price. Dyson lenses are more expensive than shark lenses. Also, the Dyson hollows are more massive than the shark, but the shark holes have a short power supply. Ultimately, Shark offers more security than Dyson.
What could be the maximum lifespan of a vacuum cleaner?
Vacuum cleaner’s durability depends upon their manufacturing material and their usage routine. If you’re carefully using a vacuum cleaner and paying full attention to maintain a vacuum cleaner on a daily basis. Then, it could last a decade. But, most vacuum cleaners can offer s
Everything for the elderly should be the best of all. This is what we consider when choosing the best lightweight vacuum cleaner for the elderly. Fortunately, we cover all the details you need to know. So choose the one that suits you. Isn’t it easy to keep your house clean, even if you are aging?
Although bulky vacuums provide excellent cleaning results, it is challenging for the elderly. For this reason, we provide the best lightweight vacuum cleaners from established and reliable brands, capable of delivering the desired results without additional weight.
Weight must be one of the deciding factors, but suction power, motor power, and dust capacity must also be taken into account when purchasing a universal vacuum cleaner.
We only select products that offer all of these features. I hope you find this post helpful and get the right lightweight cleaner for your home.